My
last post, discussed my realization that students have a difficult time
comprehending something they cannot picture in their mind. This supports the concept of symbolic interactionism (SI); one of the first theories I studied in Interpersonal Communication. It is one of many social interaction theories. I love this theory. It just makes sense!
Briefly, SI posits communication is developed through the use of symbols, we call language; and describes the process of recalling images in our mind to interact with others. In
the 1960s, G. H. Mead introduced the idea of symbolic interaction.
Later, the term symbolic interactionism was coined by Mead's student,
H. Blumer.
Since it is more complex than I described, I would like to introduce the theory to interested individuals, through this link: http://www.sophia.org/symbolic-interaction-theory/symbolic-interaction-theory-tutorial
Mead and Blumer are two of the giants, who's shoulders we stand upon!
What an interesting series of blogs! My very best to you. Dr. Lue Stewart
ReplyDelete