Saturday, April 6, 2013



Since last time I wrote, my volunteer EAP 281 students completed their speeches. I loved this. They brought pictures of their families and shared about their personal lives. One of the students, who typically works with another Writing Center Instructor, asked her " Why don't you come to our class?" 
Now, we are working on job interviews. Coincidentally, my own SPC 1608 class, is working on a similar assignment. Once again, I realize, most practices which work for any ‘special need’ (physical, developmental, language, etc.), should also be standard practice, in the so-called main stream classroom. It also illuminates, as much as we think we are different; we are just as much the same.
For example, both Professor S (EAP 281) and I implemented new assignments (to us). Therefore, the bugs are not worked out. Both assignments require students to create an imaginary interaction, in the future. Both classes had difficulty grasping the concept of imaginary and in the future. A few students in each class were able to transfer their current knowledge, to the new task; but, most were not. It seems, EAP students with better English comprehension, and SPC students with more life experience, were able to understand the task. This, in combination with my Writing Center reading sessions, with EAP students, revealed the importance of literally—seeing the image—in one’s mind.
Students with limited language comprehension and life experience cannot create an image in their mind. The images help us remember old information; and use that information to process new information. In my reading sessions, I started Googling images for students, to help them process the information. Now, I need to utilize this information, to find a way, to help students transfer skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment