Early in the semester, in The Writing Center, I met students from the Level 1-English for Academic Purposes Class. I was perplexed, some of them spoke very little English. Since I know their instructor, I emailed him, and asked him to tell me what I should ask them, in order to help them better. (What a concept? Ask the one who knows.) Now, I have a wonderful relationship with the students--AND--we ALL learn. The class consists of 12 students, with varying levels of English comprehension. I see three students, at least once a week; and have worked, a few times, with more than half of the remaining nine. When Spring Break arrived, I knew I would miss them; and I did. They have truly blessed and enriched my life.
Therefore, instead of going off campus to volunteer, I decided to work with the EAP281 class. I attended the actual class yesterday. I have never felt so welcomed in my life. When I opened the door, my students were excited to see me; and I heard a "joyful noise." When the professor walked in the room, he was happy to see me. He had each student get up and introduce themselves, state where they were born, and their goal at Valencia. As they did so, I was able to tell the professor a few things about my regular students. For example, one student is a nurse in Korea, another is fashion designer in Columbia, and I shared a few inside jokes with other students. I am in awe, that my ability to remember a few things about individuals, can make a difference. Then I realize, we do not have to save the entire world to make a difference. The little things connect people. If we all, had a positive affect, in our little sections of the world--well--it is incomprehesible.
The professor and I talked about several ways I could help the students. We finally decided, I would help them with their speeches. (Another great concept--share what I know how to share).
More on this later.
Cio!
HI,
ReplyDeleteI just read your blog and I am glad to see you were so welcome in the class. It sounds like you really enjoyed yourself. I like that you made the effort to go out of your way and speak to the instructor of the class. I think your effort of asking what you can do for the class and was open to ideas shows your desire to help students and work with them. I wish you the best of luck and success with the students.
Jessica Jimenez Ramos