There is no such thing as a shortcut.
Rather than watching the movie Antwone Fisher in its' entirety, I decided to save time and Google the scene where he enters his -long, lost families house.
Instead of saving time, I perused multiple interesting video clips. I found the lecture below.
People-of-Color-Blindness: A Lecture by Jared Sexton
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNVMI3oiDaI
The idea of color blindness is hard for me to take a side on, if that makes sense. As a child I often felt uncomfortable when someone asked me about my race. When I told them I was native American and they asked me questions, I felt out of place and wanted to know why they were asking me. I often wanted to know why they were not asking other people in the classroom about their heritage. I guess I felt singled out.
ReplyDeleteOn the other hand, I know when people ignore the issue of race, ethnicity, similar problems can also occur. I am glad you discussed this topic and hopefully others will express their opinions.
Yes this happened to me too. My father's family is Colombian and my mother's family is Palestinian. The sad part is that in Palestine, we don't have a homeland. So its hard to explain for example if someone goes and visits, then they have to cross through Israel to get to Palestine... etc.. I can't say I go directly to Palestine. While if I mention Colombia it is automatically assumed drugs are somewhere in the family. I always had that problem in school.
ReplyDelete