Monday, February 11, 2013



I am the student; absorbing information from professional development and Valencia’s “Learning Day,” along with this class. Yes, my poetry is still in motion. Three concepts, new to me, sound interesting: Strengths Quest, Productive Persistence, and International Invitational Education. I found two web-sites to share: http://www.strengthsquest.com/home.aspx and http://www.carnegiefoundation.org/developmental-math/student-success-and-productive-persistence. The third, escapes my discovery; however there is supposed to be a conference coming up soon. Perhaps, I wrote the name wrong. 

Valencia’s key-note speaker was Chef Jeff Henderson; former felon gone corporate; million dollar drug-dealer >> to prison >> to success! He promoted his award winning book “Cooked” on the Oprah Winfrey Show. Discover more about his story at http://www.chefjefflive.com/#!

The dynamic chef spoke about his journey through the hood; as the man of the house at age seven. Born in to a culture of survival, he used his gifts to sell drugs; and ended up on the “Pipeline to Prison -aka - School Yard to Prison Yard.” In survival mode, children do not have the opportunity to discover their gifts. Gifts are discovered through exposure and experience. In survival mode, children cannot see the connections; the connections of education and dreams. 

He regaled us with stories of trading in the felony jacket for a corporate chef jacket; and the process of diffusing the prison stigma. He compelled the audience of educators to zoom in on the gifts of their students. He challenged us to help reveal student gifts through exposure and experience; to help them answer the questions that follow. Who am I? Why do I exist? What was I born to do? What is my faith? What is my purpose? What nuggets do I offer? What are my gifts? 

Awesome, incredible, we were inspired; but, that is a tall order. However, he also made statements to empower us and our students; then, presented a way to distinguish between gifts and passions. Below are a few memorable quotes from Chef Jeff Henderson.

It is never too late until you take your last breath.
Pat yourself on the back — You are here!
See yourself in what you believe. If you can see it you can be it.    

A gift is something you excel at, at the highest level, with the least amount of effort.

Now, that is a nugget!

Reference 

Henderson, J. (February, 2013). Key-note speaker at Valencia College's Learning Day.
http://www.chefjefflive.com/#!

1 comment:

  1. Lol! I love your post!!!!! I completely agree that we are stigmatized for our past when in reality, we are what we learn. Live and learn is the mantra I live my life with. I remember a couple of years ago, during the housing crisis, I got scammed out of 1500 when trying to apply for an apartment... would you believe that people still say I am "stupid" because I got scammed out of 1500... I lived and learned.. I learned that not all companies are legitimate..etc...etc...

    ReplyDelete