Sunday, February 3, 2013




          Welcome to Rhonda’s Realm! Where shall I start? There is no beginning; and there is no end! We walk this journey called life. I strongly believe in a greater power and purpose. Every triumph or tragedy is in preparation for another. Today, I can say, it seems as though my goals, studies, work, and purpose are coming together like "poetry in motion" from Thomas Dolby’s (1982), new wave musical hit. Yes, I spend most of my life thinking this. My daughter claims “You always call and tell me about the latest and greatest epiphanies you have in class.” (Like many who have walked before us, we share the desire to reform education.)
          This semester, I cut back the number of sections I teach; in order to fine tune my curriculum and improve communication with students. Many of my students are first time, and first generation, in college students. The first two weeks are devoted to the mechanics, aka the tools to succeed, of the course. Assignments are intended to build cultural capital and provide me with ideas for relevant lesson examples. Simultaneously, students learn the syllabus; and how to use Blackboard, the course management system. New this semester, I have established a pattern; students must wait until I finish instructions, before they can ask questions. They are eager and I am easily side-tracked. When someone raises their hand, I give them a sticky note to write down the question. Then, they can concentrate on information being delivered.
          Participant reactions have been great. Students are more patient. A few have come up after class to apologize for things such as interrupting; or looking tired in class, because they were up all night. I am able to say things like, “You were no problem, we are still figuring out how things work in here” or “I am glad you made it. Let me know what you get on your paper.” When I returned the Blackboard and Syllabus Online Scavenger Hunt Assignment, students who completed it successfully were dismissed. I kept students who did not finish, explained they were not in trouble, and let them know I was making sure they had the tools they needed to succeed, in this class, this semester. Students thank me daily. The most exciting result was when one student took another, to the library, to do the assignment with them. “Each one—reach one. Each one—teach one” (African Proverb).
Reference
Dolby, T. (1982). She blinded me with science. The Golden Age of Wireless. US: Capital Records. Retrieved from: http://www.mysearchresults.com/search?&c=4202&t=11&q=Big Bang Theory - She Blinded Me with Science 

4 comments:

  1. I am also easily sidetracked, but usually can pull that back into my lesson somehow.

    P.S. Big Bang Theory has become my favorite TV show.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And here I was thinking I was the only one who easily gets sidetracked in the classroom... However just as Albert mentioned, I try to quickly find ways to relate it to our lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think one of the most important phrases that you used here was “I am glad you made it.” It is always nice to hear that, even though you are late, you were missed. I think this gives the students a sense of belonging. I also love the scavenger hunt idea. That is fun and everyone can learn so much. I look forward to reading more about your “adventures” in the classroom. I think I shall dub you “sticky note lady”!

    To Albert and Greg-As far as getting sidetracked, one of my undergrad majors was creative writing. I cannot do anything without telling a story. In fact, I started to write a short story. It’s called “Long is Her Wind.” It will be coming out in trilogy form.

    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad to see, we have sense of humors in our endeavors--and are able to laugh at ourselves.

    ReplyDelete